The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America promotes appreciation for the people, places and events that led to the formation and development of our country. We are an unincorporated association of 44 Corporate Societies with more than 15,000 members. The NSCDA has been a leader in the field of historic preservation, restoration and the interpretation of historic sites since its New York Society first undertook the preservation of the Van Cortlandt House in 1897. The National Society headquarters is located at Dumbarton House, a Federal period house museum in Washington, D.C.
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Louisiana
In 1895, only four years after The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America was organized, twelve forward thinking ladies formed the NSCDA in the State of Louisiana. The Society was incorporated in 1896 and admitted as an Associate State of The National Society in 1898. Headquartered in New Orleans, the Society formed Town Committees in other parts of the state – Shreveport (1915), Alexandria (1916), Monroe (1951) and Baton Rouge (1968). The Society was a champion of historic preservation from its earliest days. It was instrumental in saving the historic Cabildo – the site of its first headquarters – from destruction, an accomplishment commemorated by a bronze plaque. It continued its work with other historic properties. The Monroe Committee leased an old frontier structure, and developed it into the Isiah Garret Law Office, a museum and community meeting space. The Shreveport Committee restored a donated building, and developed in it the Spring Street Historical Museum featuring the city’s history and culture. Kent Plantation House, the Oakley Plantation, and the Hermann-Grima House are supported financially and otherwise by local Dames efforts in Alexandria, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans, respectively. All five of these properties are listed on the National Register. In 1974, the Society purchased and restored a New Orleans Garden District home, Louisiana House, for use as its headquarters. In all our work, The Society is dedicated to promoting an appreciation for the people, places and events that led to the formation and development of our nation. The Society has undertaken numerous projects over the years in the areas of preservation, historical activities, education, and patriotic service. These have included: research and publication of books on a number of topics, advocacy for significant buildings and historic sites, sponsorship of exhibits and tours on cultural subjects, compilation of oral histories, development of genealogy education programs, and service to our military and veterans.