Louisiana is fortunate to have four properties that are part of Great American Treasures, a curated collection of over 60 historic sites that tell stories of our country from its earliest days. In addition, Louisiana House, a 19th century home in New Orleans’ Garden District, serves as the Dames’ state headquarters. The Louisiana Dames also provide generous support to the historic houses owned and/or maintained by NSCDA at the national level – Dumbarton House, Gunston Hall and Sulgrave Manor.


Built in 1831 by Samuel Hermann, the home is one of the earliest and best examples of American architecture in the historic French Quarter. Prior to the Civil War, prosperous Creole families enjoyed an elegant lifestyle. This Federal mansion boasts the only horse stable and functional 1830s outdoor Creole kitchen in the French Quarter. The parlor and center hall were decorated and furnished by the Louisiana Society.



This French and Spanish style raised cottage is an excellent example of French Colonial plantation architecture and is one of the oldest structures still standing in central Louisiana. The piers, elevating the house high above the ground, are of handmade brick. Brick and bousillage (a mixture of mud, moss, and deer hair) form the lime-washed walls. Two original galleries (connecting wings, added in 1840) provide vistas of the parterre garden, Bayou Rapides and an operational sugarhouse.



This three-story house, built on a 700-arpent Spanish land grant, reflects the expertise of colonials in dealing with a hot and humid climate. The rooms at Oakley have been restored in the style of the Federal period (1790-1830), the time when John James Audubon stayed there, painting and serving as a tutor to Eliza Pierre, daughter of the owner. He painted 32 of his famous bird pictures at Oakley. Acquired by the State of Louisiana in 1947, the Louisiana Society has furnished the library.



The Spring Street Museum is located in one of the oldest buildings in Shreveport and is built on one of the Shreve Town Company’s original lots. The building has been documented to 1865, and its first occupant in 1866 was Tally’s Bank. The building’s exterior features one of northwest Louisiana’s few remaining examples of New Orleans-style cast-iron grillwork. Originally developed and owned by the Shreveport Committee of the Louisiana Society, the museum was transferred in 2019 to the Louisiana State University in Shreveport.



Louisiana House serves as our Headquarters and is not open to the public. It houses our archives dating back to the 19th century, as well as our collection of period antiques and memorabilia. It is our beloved home, where we hold our meetings, plan Society projects, and get to know our fellow Dames.